Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Italian... delicious and good for you?

I tend to have a preference against certain types of foods... mainly those with cheese. Please don't scream out in hatred at me... let me explain! Growing up in Wisconsin and not liking cheese just doesn't settle well with most, but cheese also doesn't settle well with my digestive system... if you get my drift.

So, for the most part, I try to avoid those cheese laden foods that others go crazy for... and it really does cross a number of menu options of the list. HOWEVER lately I have been able to handle a couple of mild low-fat type cheeses (think less dairy fat = more happy Rebecca)... so I decided to try some Italian this week. The recipe is simple/easy and is my go to Italian recipe. Plus it doesn't hurt that it is from Cooking Light, so my waistline and my digestive system are happy!

Chicken Parmesan

Ingredients
4 skinned, boned chicken breast halves
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1 3/4 cups spaghetti sauce
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
4 cups hot cooked spaghetti


Directions
1. Place chicken between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; flatten to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin.
2. Dip chicken in egg; dredge in crumbs.
3. Melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat; add chicken, and cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned.
4. Place one cup of cooked pasta and each piece of chicken into a seperate oven safe dish and place dishes on baking sheet (I added this step)
5. Pour spaghetti sauce over each chicken breast. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cheeses. Cover and simmer 5 more minutes or until cheese melts

I also love this dish because it cooks in the same dish that it is served in, saving on dishes!

No comments:

Post a Comment