It seems like things happen in threes, or fours, or fives... In the midst of moving, unpacking, adjusting, and coping with a nanny on vacation... we then had to cope with a nanny stuck in Ghana.
On the day of her anticipated arrival, I got a phone call on my cellphone from an impossibly long number. After not speaking with the nanny after her five week vacation, I was thrilled to hear her voice and welcome her back to the states. Between her calling from Ghana and me receiving the call on my cell phone at work, which is the equivalent of a marble room with minimal reception, communication on that call was difficult. As I leaned my head against the window in my office, straining for a clearer connection, I was able to gather minimal details, but enough to know that she wasn't back and that there had been an issue with her paperwork at the airport. She promised that she had a meeting to resolve things the following day and would let me know what was happening shortly thereafter, days went by, the weekend went by and I finally heard from her again to know that she was still having issues getting back.
It is now three weeks after she was supposed to be back, there have been minimal phone calls, no emails and I still don't know what the full details about her issues. I do know the important things though, her and her family are safe and we need someone to take care of Elena. I am so thankful that we had family to help out in the interim, but patching together childcare solutions was not the ideal situation and I really needed to get into more of a routine for Elena. We were lucky enough to find a place with an opening that was on the top of our list, so finally, we are getting back into a routine... more to come on how Elena feels about all of this.
In the meantime, I still don't know if/when our nanny is coming back and I have mixed emotions about the whole thing. I am concerned about her and her kids and how they are going to make it back. And if they do come back, I just hope she can make ends meet, etc. I am trying to not feel guilty about the whole thing, but I really do. I also am sad that this stage of Elena's life is coming to an end, our nanny was really a part of our family, has taken care of Elena since she was 3 months old and it is just not how I invisioned things playing out. I am trying to get over the negative and focus on the positives of the routine and how I think Elena is ready for this next stage.
On the day of her anticipated arrival, I got a phone call on my cellphone from an impossibly long number. After not speaking with the nanny after her five week vacation, I was thrilled to hear her voice and welcome her back to the states. Between her calling from Ghana and me receiving the call on my cell phone at work, which is the equivalent of a marble room with minimal reception, communication on that call was difficult. As I leaned my head against the window in my office, straining for a clearer connection, I was able to gather minimal details, but enough to know that she wasn't back and that there had been an issue with her paperwork at the airport. She promised that she had a meeting to resolve things the following day and would let me know what was happening shortly thereafter, days went by, the weekend went by and I finally heard from her again to know that she was still having issues getting back.
It is now three weeks after she was supposed to be back, there have been minimal phone calls, no emails and I still don't know what the full details about her issues. I do know the important things though, her and her family are safe and we need someone to take care of Elena. I am so thankful that we had family to help out in the interim, but patching together childcare solutions was not the ideal situation and I really needed to get into more of a routine for Elena. We were lucky enough to find a place with an opening that was on the top of our list, so finally, we are getting back into a routine... more to come on how Elena feels about all of this.
In the meantime, I still don't know if/when our nanny is coming back and I have mixed emotions about the whole thing. I am concerned about her and her kids and how they are going to make it back. And if they do come back, I just hope she can make ends meet, etc. I am trying to not feel guilty about the whole thing, but I really do. I also am sad that this stage of Elena's life is coming to an end, our nanny was really a part of our family, has taken care of Elena since she was 3 months old and it is just not how I invisioned things playing out. I am trying to get over the negative and focus on the positives of the routine and how I think Elena is ready for this next stage.
No comments:
Post a Comment