The title of this waivered between I HATE YOU DAYCARE and TAKE THAT FLU
If you can't infer from the titles what is going on, Elena's great first week ended with some sort of a nasty bug that I can only guess was the flu. Thus, my love hate relationship with Daycare has been further solidified.
What started on Friday as a runny nose (not surprising considering it is that time of year and every day we walked into daycare we were happily greeted by booger covered friends) turned bad pretty fast. Saturday night my lovely husband went to Elena in the middle of the night, I had figured she had pooped (it's the latest thing, didn't you know, poop when it is all quiet in the house, in your crib, etc.). Moments later I heard him calling my name frantically... sigh... swing my legs out of bed... rub the sleep from my eyes and then stumble into her room... and then it hit me... the smell... yeah, that smell, the one they covered up with that nasty saw dust stuff in elementary school before cleaning it up... puke... over the next few days my normally jolly toddler turned into a clingy, yet snuggly, crabby, yet peaks of happiness, totally exhausted little girl. I felt so bad, all I could do was arm myself with every single remedy possible.
Take that flu! What worked for Elena was lots of rest, no dairy and alternating advil and tylenol every 3 hours (a tip back from her febrile seizure days). She wasn't interested in eating, so I didn't force it and just tried to get in fluids, crackers and toast when I could.
And we did a lot of this...
I am forever grateful for Elmo, Curious George and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, because after a while she no longer wanted to read stories, color or do puzzles and they were just the trick. (and they gave Mom a much needed break from the 2 year old laying on top of her all the time).
I am sure we will have hell to pay in the coming days, now that she is feeling better, and getting her off the TV... always something ;)
If you can't infer from the titles what is going on, Elena's great first week ended with some sort of a nasty bug that I can only guess was the flu. Thus, my love hate relationship with Daycare has been further solidified.
What started on Friday as a runny nose (not surprising considering it is that time of year and every day we walked into daycare we were happily greeted by booger covered friends) turned bad pretty fast. Saturday night my lovely husband went to Elena in the middle of the night, I had figured she had pooped (it's the latest thing, didn't you know, poop when it is all quiet in the house, in your crib, etc.). Moments later I heard him calling my name frantically... sigh... swing my legs out of bed... rub the sleep from my eyes and then stumble into her room... and then it hit me... the smell... yeah, that smell, the one they covered up with that nasty saw dust stuff in elementary school before cleaning it up... puke... over the next few days my normally jolly toddler turned into a clingy, yet snuggly, crabby, yet peaks of happiness, totally exhausted little girl. I felt so bad, all I could do was arm myself with every single remedy possible.
Take that flu! What worked for Elena was lots of rest, no dairy and alternating advil and tylenol every 3 hours (a tip back from her febrile seizure days). She wasn't interested in eating, so I didn't force it and just tried to get in fluids, crackers and toast when I could.
And we did a lot of this...
I am forever grateful for Elmo, Curious George and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, because after a while she no longer wanted to read stories, color or do puzzles and they were just the trick. (and they gave Mom a much needed break from the 2 year old laying on top of her all the time).
I am sure we will have hell to pay in the coming days, now that she is feeling better, and getting her off the TV... always something ;)

ooooh I'm so sorry. Boooo!! I hope everyone is recovering and recovery goes quickly. When you are out of the woods on this one, look back and think...."Day Care is building my daughter's immune system, one nasty bug at a time".......I'm sorry :(
ReplyDelete