Alternative title for this post: "It's about time Mom"
So Elena has been interested in the potty since about 18 months old, which was mostly by accident. I had returned from a Toys R Us/Babies R Us run and had picked up a kid's potty for about $10 (how am I supposed to pass that up?) Instead of just packing it away for a later date... I put it in the bathroom for momentary storage. And Elena took to sitting on it. At first with her clothes on, then later when she was naked after the bath and on and off she would ask to go. And of course, anytime we were at a children's museum or someplace with kid size toilets she would ask to go. (I may have to take responsibility for that one, I love checking out the bathrooms at places).
Fast forward to her second birthday - I really hadn't been pushing the topic but after almost a month of staying dry at daycare, and frequently asking to go the bathroom, I thought she was probably trying to tell me something. So off to the store we went - bought some big girl pants (the most popular characters these days in Elena's world are Mickey Mouse, so we got both the girls AND the boys Mickey, Minnie Mouse etc. underpants). And we were off. We went cold turkey, straight to underwear, even at nap time. We have had no accidents at home and she just had one at daycare (which I am course am irrationally chalking up to daycare not Elena).
This has happened much different than I would have expected, I mean I didn't get to buy my typical five books on a child topic before we started doing it. I am sure it won't be the first time that Elena has her own plans up her sleeve (and I am just considering myself lucky for now and hoping that this potty training thing keeps holding up). Meanwhile, I am incredibly proud of her and am thankful to not have had to change a poopy diaper in over a month ;)
So Elena has been interested in the potty since about 18 months old, which was mostly by accident. I had returned from a Toys R Us/Babies R Us run and had picked up a kid's potty for about $10 (how am I supposed to pass that up?) Instead of just packing it away for a later date... I put it in the bathroom for momentary storage. And Elena took to sitting on it. At first with her clothes on, then later when she was naked after the bath and on and off she would ask to go. And of course, anytime we were at a children's museum or someplace with kid size toilets she would ask to go. (I may have to take responsibility for that one, I love checking out the bathrooms at places).
Fast forward to her second birthday - I really hadn't been pushing the topic but after almost a month of staying dry at daycare, and frequently asking to go the bathroom, I thought she was probably trying to tell me something. So off to the store we went - bought some big girl pants (the most popular characters these days in Elena's world are Mickey Mouse, so we got both the girls AND the boys Mickey, Minnie Mouse etc. underpants). And we were off. We went cold turkey, straight to underwear, even at nap time. We have had no accidents at home and she just had one at daycare (which I am course am irrationally chalking up to daycare not Elena).
This has happened much different than I would have expected, I mean I didn't get to buy my typical five books on a child topic before we started doing it. I am sure it won't be the first time that Elena has her own plans up her sleeve (and I am just considering myself lucky for now and hoping that this potty training thing keeps holding up). Meanwhile, I am incredibly proud of her and am thankful to not have had to change a poopy diaper in over a month ;)
WOO!! Congratulations Elena!
ReplyDeleteamazing. simply amazing. yes, i'm jealous. i can't even say to myself, "well, she missed all that fun and experience of plea bargaining, bribing, nagging, cleaning, bribing again, giving up, power struggles, giving up, and finally getting success...." nope, you didn't miss a thing. congrats.
ReplyDelete