So, Elena, as with many things, has embraced this big sister thing with excitement, love and... lots of questions.
I was thinking I would wait to tell her about the impending change that would no doubt rock the world of the only child until I was showing, and it was a bit "easier" to understand.. but Elena had different plans. On the way home from school one day she asked me "Mama, what is this brother sister stuff?" So with that, I was explaining my pregnancy to my 2.5 year old and 10 weeks or so along. Thankfully, she seemed to understand (thanks with lots of friends with siblings).
Her head must have continued to spin because a few weeks later, while we were getting ready for bed, Elena asked "Mom, how did my brother get in your belly?" I of course paused momentarily until I asked her, "What do you think?". Her response? "I think he crawled up there". My response was to agree, as that is as much as she needs to know at this point. (and saved me a difficult explanation)
Side note: Elena has been calling the baby her brother, although also says it's a girl, so is clearly hedging her bets prior to the gender reveal.
The latest question in the saga of big sister and baby-to-be questions was tonight. While getting ready for bed Elena and I were winding down and settling her into bed. She looked at me and asked "How is my brother going to get out of your belly"... another pause on my end... This one I was a bit more prepared for and I explained how I would go to the hospital and the Doctor would help him come out. Her response (after some thoughtful consideration): "I think I will go with you because I need to catch him, because he's small and he can't walk"
Glad to see she is already looking out for him :)
I can't wait to see what stories the rest of this pregnancy will hold as well as what the two of them will get into someday.
I was thinking I would wait to tell her about the impending change that would no doubt rock the world of the only child until I was showing, and it was a bit "easier" to understand.. but Elena had different plans. On the way home from school one day she asked me "Mama, what is this brother sister stuff?" So with that, I was explaining my pregnancy to my 2.5 year old and 10 weeks or so along. Thankfully, she seemed to understand (thanks with lots of friends with siblings).
Her head must have continued to spin because a few weeks later, while we were getting ready for bed, Elena asked "Mom, how did my brother get in your belly?" I of course paused momentarily until I asked her, "What do you think?". Her response? "I think he crawled up there". My response was to agree, as that is as much as she needs to know at this point. (and saved me a difficult explanation)
Side note: Elena has been calling the baby her brother, although also says it's a girl, so is clearly hedging her bets prior to the gender reveal.
The latest question in the saga of big sister and baby-to-be questions was tonight. While getting ready for bed Elena and I were winding down and settling her into bed. She looked at me and asked "How is my brother going to get out of your belly"... another pause on my end... This one I was a bit more prepared for and I explained how I would go to the hospital and the Doctor would help him come out. Her response (after some thoughtful consideration): "I think I will go with you because I need to catch him, because he's small and he can't walk"
Glad to see she is already looking out for him :)
I can't wait to see what stories the rest of this pregnancy will hold as well as what the two of them will get into someday.

No comments:
Post a Comment