Monday, October 13, 2014

Elena 3.5



The toddler years are far in the rearview mirror and Elena is full on embracing the big kid world. It is amazing to me how much she learns on a daily basis and how much fun she is. Three has definitely brought more challenges as she searches out her place in the world, her independence and her self control, but we are all coping and I am glad to see her able to communicate and express her emotions (even if sometimes it makes me feel like we are dealing with a teenager). At her core though, she still remains an easy going child, quick to smile and laugh and always longing to be surrounded by people.

She has entered her first official year of Preschool at Lincoln Park Prep and absolutely loves it and her two teachers (Miss Rachel and Miss Ashley) are wonderful. In a few short weeks I have already seen her progress so fast with writing, simple math and her interest in reading. There was a transition this year as some of her old friends went on to new schools and so far she is coping, having made new friends along with the kids that are still in the school. Every day there are funny stories of the happenings of LPP. Apparently Elena has quite the social calendar as many days when I pick her up a "friend" from school will come up to me and let me know that Elena has invited them over for a play date. Most recently, her friend Knox invited her over for a movie (I didn't tell her dad that one).

She's super busy lately, I am trying to not overschedule her but at the same time trying to keep her with things to do and connected with friends. On Fridays, she has gymnastics and it is a big help with the nanny and to break up one of the days she stays at home. It is also really helping her coordination and her confidence with her athletic ability. She is now so proud of her running and jumping and is great to see. With the girls that no longer are at her school she has ballet on Saturdays, it is so great to see them use their imaginations and to catch up every weekend. Sundays is swim class and Elena has progressed so much over the last 6 months. She is currently able to kick with a noodle and float on her back. Right now they are working on swimming unassisted with only a little backfloat, she loves the water and I am so proud of her.

So many fun things have come out of her mouth lately, she still doesn't miss a thing and it is awesome to see her interpretation of the world, especially when it makes us laugh.

The Other Family Story:
One day on the way home from picking up Elena from school I was explaining to her what her dad was up to. Mainly that he was going out to eat with "the client" and then "the client" was going home to his family and that her dad was going home to the hotel. Well, somewhere along the line I must have gone wrong, because after a lengthy pause Elena asked me very matter of fact "Mom, why does Dad have another family". I couldn't help myself, I laughed out loud. And of course promptly called her Dad and made sure she knew that her Dad only had one family.

Photographer in training:
We had some family over this summer and Elena kept herself busy before everyone was leaving arranging them for photos, saying "bed down" and "you kneel" and "move over a bit" followed of course by please say "CHEESE". Lots of photos were taken, not sure if there were any without heads cut off though.

Bathroom animals:
I have no idea how it started, or where she thought it up, but I am confident this is one story that will embarrass Elena far into adulthood. Lately she is fascinated with naming her... poop. Every time, it's followed by a "look mom a Giraffe" or "Huh.. that ones like a hippo" or "Oooh mom it's a ssssnake!" or most recently "Mom it's as big as an elephant". There you have it, never a dull moment.

Bank robber:
Elena has a play cash register. It is one of her favorite toys (as is playing pretend go to work, where she runs to the other room to "work" and then comes to me her "boss" for money and then takes it to the cash register, which is the "bank") Well, one day after playing with the cash register we went out and about for the day. Later on, Elena pulled some money out of her pocket, and then when everyone reacted wondering what she was doing with a $20 bill in her pocket she hid it. Further investigation revealed it was fake.

World traveler:
Elena continues to be a great traveler, thank goodness, and our most recent plane trip proved it. We had a mix up with our departure on the way back from Boston and 6 hours later were finally aboard the plane. (sidenote - explaining standby to a 3 year old is not easy, she couldn't understand why plane after plane kept leaving without us, "Why aren't any of these our planes?") Nonetheless, Elena did great and upon finally arriving at home she felt the same way her Dad and I did. She ran up to the house and hugged it saying "I missed you SO much, house". Needless to say, she was happy to be home.

Mini me:
I suppose the greatest form of flattery is copying, and that is full swing for Elena right now. She has become such a good mama to her babies. "Nursing" her babies, "pumping" milk for them and sometimes even seeking out a nursing cover/blanket so she can have "privacy". She's already told me that I should have another baby as well as that she "is getting married again tomorrow so that she can have another baby". At least she has the right order of the way things are supposed to work, remember that order when you grow up little one. :)

Big sister:
Being a big sister is hard. For the most part she is gentle, kind and so sweet to her sister. Trying to help and bringing her a toy or singing to her. The other day I walked into the room to see Elena reading a book to Hannah while she was in her jumper, so sweet. Then there are other moments where I see how hard it is for her such as when she said to me "Hannah's doing pretty good sitting. You don't have to hold her anymore"

Adventurer:
One of my proudest moments of Elena this summer was when she did something I knew she was a little scared of and went tubing behind the boat at my dads lake. I could tell she was having fun by the smile that went from ear to ear and it was so cute to hear her say "I can't wait to tell all my friends at school about this"

Random Elena tidbits:
"Heads up for you mom" when reminding me something
"How are we going to do this" when her Dad and I were trying to figure out how to climb onto the raft at the lake
"Mom can I see your phone, I am going to check the weather"
"When I grow up I am not going to live here because grown ups don't live with their parents"



No comments:

Post a Comment