Monday, January 10, 2011

Shower and yummies

I am so thankful for the wonderful shower that I had this weekend. It was amazing to see all of my family and friends in one place and I was truly overwhelmed by the generosity and the love. It is so exciting to know that my little one has so much love and support waiting for him/her.

The shower was absolutely wonderful and I couldn't have asked for anything more. The decor, the little details, the games and the wonderful hostesses were amazing. I am so very grateful.

I am sure I will have some pics at some point, but for now I will leave you with a recipe. The only real thing that I have had a craving for are these toffee bars that they used to sell at Starbucks, but discontinued. One of my friends found the recipe, made up a jar of all the ingredients and also brought some ready made ones to the shower. Let me tell you - they are delicious! Here is the recipe, if you are interested.


Starbucks Toffee Bars

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (I measured this by stirring the flour with a spoon and then scooping the flour out and leveling off with a knife. If you use a scale - it's 5.25 ounces)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup packed brown sugar (I've used light and dark - I like dark a little better)
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened (or use 1/4 cup softened butter and 1/4 cup vegetable shortening - these were not good with margerine or all shortening)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I also liked these with bittersweet chips)
1 cup white chocolate chips - get the ones that say "real vanilla" on the package - the guittard and ghiradelli brands tasted good, others - not so much.
1/2 cup toffee pieces (I used heath pieces from a bag, but thought it tasted better when I got bars of Almond Rocca or Heath and chopped them myself)
Optional: 1/2 cup butterscotch chips (I liked these when I used the chopped rocca bars, but thought they were too much when I used the toffee bits from the bag)

preheat oven to 375 F. Grease 9" x 13" or smaller (down to a 9x9" I'd say) baking pan. If you use a pyrex pan as I did, lower the temperature to 350 and keep the time the same.

Stir together the flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until fluffy, then add in sugar and beat until it is creamy. Beat in egg. Stir in the flour mixture in three batches, waiting until the flour is mostly incorporated before adding more. Stir in chips and toffee. The dough will be very stiff. Press it with your hands into an even layer into prepared baking pan.

Bake for 20 to 23 minutes - closer to 20 minutes if you use the 9 x 13 pan, closer to 23 or 24 if you use a 9x9 pan. It is better to underbake a little than over bake. The bars are done when they are barely browned at the edges and definitely golden brown at the corners of the pan and a toothpick comes out clean (except for the melted chocolate!). Remove pan to wire rack. Cool completely in pan on wire rack, then refrigerate for 20 minutes until chocolate is completely set (the middle will sink a bit when they're completely cool). Cut into bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment