For the first time Elena is sick, not one of the first's that I was looking forward to... but at least we made it to almost 14 months before she got sick.
I have three words for you - Hand, Foot and Mouth
Elena has it. And it's awful.
It makes me want to take my hand and slap someone across the face, take my foot and stomp on something and use my mouth to scream as loud as I can.
It started out as innocent as someone could imagine with a cold on Monday, after a sleepless night on Tuesday I suspected that we were in for something more, when the fever came on Wednesday and sleep evaded us, I grew worried, when her mouth showed signs of sores on Thursday, I became even more anxious. After 5 sleepless nights, 100 degree fevers, 2 mouth sores, the appearance of one ominous looking rash, and endless mommy clinginess it was off to the doctor.
After taking one glance at Elena's mouth and a glimpse at her hand and the bottom of her foot, she diagnosed her with Hand, Foot, Mouth disease. Let's be honest though, it could really be called, tongue, mouth, ear, hand, wrist, forearm, foot, ankle, calf, thigh disease because this nasty rash is taking over my poor little daughter's body. Thankfully there are a few areas which look a lot worse than others, and it supposedly doesn't hurt at all, but it looks so terrible.
Of course, since it is a virus, you can't really do anything for it. So naturally what did I do but take on the blame, ask the "what did I do wrong" question over and over and just generally feel like I somehow had something to do with her getting sick. And God bless the doctor, she said it wasn't because of anything that I did. Despite that, I am still analyzing every little move... that one time I forgot to wash her hands after we went to the park, etc. I am also of course thankful that it is just a virus that will pass, rather than something more severe, but that doesn't help how bad I feel to see how upset she is and how much this virus is bothering my poor sweet girl.
Thankfully after some ibuprofren, and getting outside on Sunday, she slept much better and seemed to return to more of her normal self today. I was even able to leave the room and didn't have to carry her around all day.... never thought I would master the art of peeing and holding a screaming toddler on my lap....
I am keeping my fingers crossed that we are on the mend.
But for now, I am faced with leper hand, rash foot and disaster mouth.
I have three words for you - Hand, Foot and Mouth
Elena has it. And it's awful.
It makes me want to take my hand and slap someone across the face, take my foot and stomp on something and use my mouth to scream as loud as I can.
It started out as innocent as someone could imagine with a cold on Monday, after a sleepless night on Tuesday I suspected that we were in for something more, when the fever came on Wednesday and sleep evaded us, I grew worried, when her mouth showed signs of sores on Thursday, I became even more anxious. After 5 sleepless nights, 100 degree fevers, 2 mouth sores, the appearance of one ominous looking rash, and endless mommy clinginess it was off to the doctor.
After taking one glance at Elena's mouth and a glimpse at her hand and the bottom of her foot, she diagnosed her with Hand, Foot, Mouth disease. Let's be honest though, it could really be called, tongue, mouth, ear, hand, wrist, forearm, foot, ankle, calf, thigh disease because this nasty rash is taking over my poor little daughter's body. Thankfully there are a few areas which look a lot worse than others, and it supposedly doesn't hurt at all, but it looks so terrible.
Of course, since it is a virus, you can't really do anything for it. So naturally what did I do but take on the blame, ask the "what did I do wrong" question over and over and just generally feel like I somehow had something to do with her getting sick. And God bless the doctor, she said it wasn't because of anything that I did. Despite that, I am still analyzing every little move... that one time I forgot to wash her hands after we went to the park, etc. I am also of course thankful that it is just a virus that will pass, rather than something more severe, but that doesn't help how bad I feel to see how upset she is and how much this virus is bothering my poor sweet girl.
Thankfully after some ibuprofren, and getting outside on Sunday, she slept much better and seemed to return to more of her normal self today. I was even able to leave the room and didn't have to carry her around all day.... never thought I would master the art of peeing and holding a screaming toddler on my lap....
I am keeping my fingers crossed that we are on the mend.
But for now, I am faced with leper hand, rash foot and disaster mouth.
Oh no! That must be so hard for both of you! :( Sending prayers for health!
ReplyDeleteYou poor thing! I am so sorry hun. Of course it was nothing you did. Kids get sick. :(
ReplyDeleteHang in there. Sending thoughts and prayers.