Tuesday, April 29, 2014

And She's Here

Proving to me, which I am sure will happen again and again, that no two children (pregnancies, labors, etc.) are alike - Hannah made her entrance into the world on April 19, 2014 at 9:42 pm weighing 6 lbs 5 oz and measuring 18.5 inches. Smaller than her sister, but I was proud that we were able to make it full term and that she was bigger than they thought she may have been.

The labor started much different than I expected. My mom was in town, so she went with me to my 9 am appointment (as I was a week overdue) at the triage of Prentice hospital which was supposed to include a NST (non-stress test) as well as a BPP (bio physical profile) ultrasound. The night before I *thought* I had lost my mucous plug around 3 am, but in my sleep deprived state, I wasn't 100% sure that it wasn't a dream. I also noticed when I woke up that I was a bit damper than normal, but with pregnancy, and all it's glamour, I didn't think too much of it. I didn't feel like my water had broken as when I stood up from bed, or from a sitting position, the fluid didn't increase. I also wasn't having any more frequent contractions (aside from the labor pains I had been feeling for weeks.) All that considered, I took my time getting ready, showered, ate a big breakfast, and made sure everything at home was in order *just in case*

My mom went with me to my doctor's appointment as we figured it would be a good time for the two of us to catch up and would give Chris some one on one time with Elena. Upon getting checked in, I let them know that I wanted them to at least check my water before we did any testing, once again, *just in case* Well, the second the nurse did the check, my water went everywhere - had that happened at home there would have been no doubt what was going on! The nurse still had to submit the test, but she confirmed my water was broken and I would be getting admitted and wouldn't be heading home for a while.

While we waited for a room to open up Chris brought Elena to the hospital and my mom took her home. Elena was happy to see me in the hospital, but I could tell she wasn't comfortable so she had a quick 5 minute visit and a hug and kiss from me and then she was on her way.

It was 11 am by the time I was in a delivery room and as I wasn't in active labor they started pitocin around noon in order to kick start the contractions. The pitocin kicked in labor quickly and before I knew it I was experiencing intense contractions 2-3 minutes apart. It was much different than the first time around in that the intensity seemed much greater and harder to manage. I tried multiple techniques - walking, breathing, visualizing, sitting on a medicine ball, in order to push through them. One thing was clear, I did not want to be cooped up in the hospital bed while I worked through them. Five hours later, I felt like I couldn't handle it for much longer and worried I wouldn't have the strength to push when I needed it. I asked to be checked and given that I was over 4 CM and that labor was consistent and progressing, I asked for the epidural, and I immediately felt relief. I could still feel some tightening with contractions and waited to see my body do what it could do. Three or so hours later I was full dilated, effaced and ready to go. Around then my mom and brother stopped in and it was nice to see them before it was time to bring peanut into the world. 

The doctor came in shortly after 9 pm and I told her I was feeling pressure and was ready to push. She asked me to do one practice push while she watched and then immediately said - "ok great job" and turned to put her scrubs on. Pushing felt great, a wonderful relief and also like I was truly doing and accomplishing something. With only three pushes, baby Hannah was out. It was so wonderful to see her and to see how great she looked. She got 9/9 Apgars, which after the concerns of the pregnancy was such a relief. She immediately got to do skin to skin time with me and it was truly an amazing moment having her placed on my stomach. I got to keep her there for a long time which was truly wonderful. I also nursed her and she latched well. 

It was truly a great labor experience and I am so thankful for the on call Doctor - Dr McGee whose mannerisms, bedside manner and overall help in the delivery experience were amazing. 

Now I get to snuggle Hannah and focusing on getting her to grow and eat!






No comments:

Post a Comment