I recently took a business trip to New Orleans and had a decent amount of free time (during the afternoon) to explore the city. I was so excited, that for once business could mean I actually got to VISIT a city (especially one I had never been to before).
I really lucked out with the weather, it was 75 and sunny the whole afternoon and I had a blast wandering past some of the old mansions in the Art District, checking out the city streets of the French Quarter and listening to a great deal of Jazz along the way. I found the people of New Orleans to be very nice, welcoming and helpful and I felt pretty safe walking around as well (granted, I probably wouldn't do so at night). I liked the city and the French Quarter definitely reminded me of Europe in some ways. Bourbon Street, not so much. It is definitely just a row of bars and is lacking the same vibe I am sure it has at night with the various characters, drunks and music. It kind of reminded me of downtown Cancun (and I don't think that is a compliment). That being said, it is a great town and I was so glad I got the chance to explore (and of course take pictures).
French Quarter
Jackson Square with the Cathedral
I stopped at Cafe Du Monde
To rest, and have some delicious beignets
I wandered the streets some more
And fell in love with the iron work
We went to Commander's Palace for dinner, the restaurant opened in the 1880's and has a rich New Orleans history. The menu and food were amazing and I would definitely highly recommend it.
My other favorites were:
Garden district mansions
Street performers at Jackson square
Beignets at Cafe Du Monde
Locals/jazz and french quarter feel along Frenchmen Street
Oooh, beignets.... lucky girl!!
ReplyDelete