I didn't want to go out in the cold
Our driveway resembles a ski slalom course, complete with moguls
And I have tons of leftovers in the fridge
As a result, we had veggie chili that was leftover from the Super Bowl party
I love this chili, it is healthy and I like to experiment with the recipe
Plus, it keeps well in the fridge for a couple of weeks and freezes/reheats nicely
Vegetarian Chili
2 tbsp oil
1 Medium Onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped celery
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 16 oz Petite Diced Hunts Tomatoes, undrained
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 15 oz Dark Red Kidney Beans, rinsed, drained
1 15 oz can Butter Beans, rinsed, drained
1 15 oz can Black Beans, rinsed, drained
1 15 oz can Garbanzo beans, rinsed, drained
1 11 oz can whole kernel golden sweet corn
1 8 oz can mushrooms pieces and stems, drained
1-2 tbsp chili powder
1-2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp dried cumin leaves
2-3 whole bay leaves
Heat oil in a large pot and add onion, celery and garlic, cook 4-6 minutes or until tender
Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook 20-30 minutes, until thoroughly heated and flavors are blended (I also have been known to add in other spices, most recently a bit of cinnamon to the chili...mmmm...)
You can garnish with avocado, cheese or sour cream
Serve with cornbread, crackers, whatever you have on hand
No comments:
Post a Comment