Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Rustic Chicken

Rustic Chicken

The Polenta - Roasted Garlic with Gruyere

6 cups liquid; I used 4 c vegetable broth and 2 c water
1 bulb roasted garlic, mashed and combined with the liquid (FYI roasting garlic takes a while and can be done in advance, which I recommend)
Large pinch of thyme
1 3/4 c stoneground yellow cornmeal (ps make sure it is yellow cornmeal, white cornmeal will get very clumpy/gooey)
Approximately 2/3 c shredded gruyere cheese

Bring the liquid/garlic mixture to a boil. Season with thyme. Slowly whisk in the cornmeal, whisking continuously until creamy, about 12-15 minutes.
Whisk in the cheese.


Chicken with a Spinach Tomato Ragout
Ingredients
(for 2, you will probably need two pans if making this for four)

2 boneless, skinless chicken breast, pounded out just a bit
Salt, pepper, paprika
2 tbsp olive oil
4 tbsp chopped onion
2 large clove of garlic, minced
4 plum tomatoes, chopped
4 handfuls fresh spinach
1 c low sodium chicken broth

Directions
Heat olive oil in a saute pan
Season chicken liberally with salt, pepper, and paprika and add to pan. Cook 3 min per side or until golden brown.
Add onions and garlic, saute 2 minutes. If your pan seems too dry, add a touch of broth.
Add tomatoes, saute 2 minutes.
Add spinach to the pan and let wilt down for a minute (I just threw it in on top and didn't stir it in).
Add broth and bring to a simmer; let simmer until chicken is cooked through, just a few minutes. Adjust salt and pepper if needed. Serve over the polenta.

This was delicious, the chicken was amazing. Chris wasn't a big fan of the polenta though, so I will probably serve it with the risotto from last night when I make it next time.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment